One of the most insightful Doctors in modern history gives us some insight on how to stand out in a positive way. There are unique specific differences in how top performers and the mediocre think and act. .
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own and you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go." — Dr. Seuss
The overwhelming majority of people are simply trying to fit in and not be noticed. By being noticed the masses feel that their failures will be met with undesirable judgment. True entrepreneurs are doing everything they can to stand out and be noticed for the results they generate, and do not worry about a few failures or missteps.
Seven ways to stand out and be noticed in a positive way, not as the obnoxious fool, we all try to avoid.
- Answer Questions with a Purpose: When you are asked a question, make sure you give an answer that is bigger, richer and far more thought provoking than expected.
- Provide Valuable Solutions: When you are facing with a problem, do not take the problem to management or investors without a well thought out solution. Likewise, when someone brings you a problem, deliver a solution that not only solves the problem, but also delivers an opportunity for them to capitalize on.
- Project Oversight: When you take on a project, make sure your plan is bolder, more ambitious and more detailed than anyone hoped for. Make sure to communicate milestones, successes and missteps to those involved on a regular basis. Finish it early, under budget, and with a positive attitude.
- Conflict Resolution:When a customer, partner, investor or employee has a concern, go the extra mile, exceed expectations, resolve conflict quickly and blow their mind by your professionalism, intelligence, and responsiveness.
- Quality Matters:In everything you do, make your name and results synonymous with Quality, Accuracy, Timeliness, Excellence, Consistency, Reliability and Originality.
- Meeting Expectations: When you participate in a meeting, no matter how boring, anticipate questions, come fully prepared, and contribute your ideas with clarity and conviction. Always be engaged
- Produce Results. Results are not a matter of opinion, they are facts backed up by data. If you can be a consistent, profitable, positive producer, you will be a top choice in the eyes of many for high level roles and projects, and your team will follow your example.
You are much more likely to foster loyalty, be trusted, be forgiven for occasional mistakes, and earn more money, if you develop a reputation for standing out by delivering insanely good and consistent results.